If you’re here, you’re probably interested in unlocking the hidden secrets of your intuition with the art of Tarot reading. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced practitioner, the Tarot can be a powerful tool for connecting with your subconscious mind and tapping into your inner wisdom — or helping your friends, family, or clients do the same. In this article, we’ll explore the fundamentals of Tarot reading and guide you through the steps to develop your intuitive abilities.
Tarot cards have been used for centuries to gain insight into the past, present, and future. Each card carries its own unique symbolism and meaning, and when combined in a reading, they provide a glimpse into the seen and unseen forces at play in your life. Through the Tarot, you can gain clarity, find answers to your most pressing questions, and gain a deeper understanding of yourself and the world around you.
Whether you’re seeking guidance in love, finances, career, or personal growth, the Tarot can offer profound insights and guidance. By learning to interpret the cards and trust your intuition, you can tap into a world of hidden knowledge and unveil the path to your highest potential. So, grab a deck of Tarot cards and embark on a journey of self-discovery as we delve into the fascinating art of Tarot reading.
Understanding Tarot Cards
When you start to work with Tarot cards, it’s important to look at the deck from an overhead perspective. Traditional tarot decks are set up in a system. There is a Major Arcana, which indicates important transformational times in a person’s life, and a Minor Arcana, which is more related to day-to-day events and circumstances. The Major Arcana consists of 22 cards and the Minor Arcana contains 56. There are four suits in the Minor Arcana that represent the Seasons and different areas of life:
Earth — Material, home, finances, education
Fire — Passions, motivations, partnerships, creativity
Water — Love, friendship, intuition, also creativity, but in a bit of a different form
Air — Thoughts, intellectual pursuits, law, science
Each suit contains numbered cards, from 1 – 10, and also Court Cards, which include the Page, Knight, Queen, and King. Court cards can represent people and be used to signify either the person you are reading for or different people in their lives or situations in a person’s life. Just FYI, the Court Cards can be a little tricky for beginners, but will start to make more sense as your work with Tarot evolves.
I think it’s important to learn both the classic meaning of each Tarot card and also how to work with your intuition when reading. Combining the two will give you a much richer and fuller Tarot reading experience.
Connecting with Your Intuition
At the heart of Tarot reading lies the ability to tap into your intuition. Intuition is your inner guide, the voice of your subconscious mind that can provide you with valuable insights and guidance. Honing your intuition is essential for accurate and meaningful Tarot readings. Here’s a video I made about working with your intuition.
One way to connect with your intuition is through meditation. Set aside a quiet moment each day to clear your mind, focus on your breath, and enter a state of relaxation. As you practice meditation regularly, you’ll find that your intuition becomes more accessible and your Tarot readings become more insightful.
Another technique to enhance your intuition is journaling. Start an Intuitive Tarot journal where you can record your thoughts, feelings, and interpretations of each card. Reflecting on your readings and the guidance you receive from all different levels of your intuition will deepen your connection with the cards and strengthen your intuitive abilities.
Preparing for Your Tarot Reading
Before you start your Tarot reading — especially when you’re first starting out — it’s important to create a sacred space and set your intention. Find a quiet and peaceful environment where you can relax and focus. Clear the space of any distractions and create a soothing atmosphere with candles, incense, or calming music.
Next, take a moment to ground yourself. Close your eyes, take a few deep breaths, and visualize roots growing from the soles of your feet or from your hip bones, grounding you to the earth. This will help you center your energy and be fully present for the reading.
Once you’re in the right mindset, shuffle your Tarot cards while focusing on your intention or the question you have in mind. You may ask a specific question or simply seek guidance on a general area of your life. Trust your intuition and choose the cards that resonate with you. Remember, there are no right or wrong answers in Tarot reading—each card and its placement in the spread holds valuable insights.
Common Tarot Spreads for Self-Reflection
Tarot spreads are specific arrangements of cards that provide different perspectives and insights. They help structure your reading and offer guidance on specific areas of your life. Here are a few popular Tarot spreads for self-reflection:
1. Past, Present, Future Spread: This three-card spread offers insights into your past, present, and future. It helps you understand how past experiences have shaped your current situation and how your present choices can influence your future.
2. Celtic Cross Spread: The Celtic Cross is a classic ten-card spread that provides a comprehensive analysis of a situation or question. It explores various aspects such as past influences, present circumstances, and possible outcomes.
3. Self-Discovery Spread: This spread is designed to delve deeper into your personal growth and self-awareness. It focuses on your strengths, weaknesses, desires, and potential obstacles, offering guidance on your journey of self-discovery.
4. Pros, Cons, and Outcomes Spread: I like to use this one when I have a few options to choose from and I want to see the pros, cons, and outcomes for each choice in a simple, three card layout.
Experiment with different spreads and find the ones that resonate with you the most. Remember, the key is to trust your intuition and allow the classic meanings of the cards and symbols that jump out to guide you.
Interpreting Tarot Card Meanings
Interpreting Tarot card meanings is a skill that develops over time with practice and experience. While each card carries its own symbolism and meaning based on a variety of different factors, it’s important to consider the context of the reading and the surrounding cards.
Start by observing the imagery on the card. What symbols, colors, or figures stand out to you? Pay attention to your initial impressions and the emotions they evoke. Trust your gut feelings and allow your intuition to guide you in interpreting the card’s meaning.
Additionally, consider the position of the card within the spread. Cards in different positions may have different nuances and interpretations. For example, a card in the past position may indicate past influences, while a card in the present position may represent current circumstances or challenges.
It’s also helpful to consult Tarot guidebooks or online resources for additional insights into card meanings. However, remember that your intuition should always be your primary guide. Trust yourself and allow your personal connection with the cards to shine through in your interpretations.
Enhancing Your Intuition through Tarot
Tarot reading is not only a way to tap into your intuition but also a tool for enhancing it. As you continue to practice and engage with the Tarot, you’ll find that your intuitive abilities expand and deepen.
One way to further enhance your intuition is by conducting daily single-card readings. Each morning, draw a card from your deck and spend a few moments reflecting on its meaning. Consider how it relates to your current circumstances and what guidance it may offer. This daily practice will strengthen your intuitive connection with the cards and train your mind to receive insights more readily.
Another technique is to incorporate other intuitive practices into your Tarot readings. For example, you can use crystals, essential oils, or energy healing techniques to enhance the energy and intuition in your readings. Experiment with different modalities and find what resonates with you.
Tarot Reading Rituals and Practices
In addition to developing your intuition, incorporating rituals and practices into your Tarot readings can enhance the overall experience. Here are a few ideas to infuse your readings with intention and sacredness:
1. Cleansing Ritual: Before each reading, cleanse your Tarot deck and the space around you. You can use smoke from burning herbs like sage or palo santo, or use Reiki on your deck and reading area. This ritual clears any residual energy and creates a fresh space for your intuition to flow.
2. Meditation: Begin your Tarot reading with a short meditation to center your energy and quiet your mind. This will help you connect with your intuition and create a focused and receptive state.
3. Affirmations: Create personalized affirmations that align with your intentions for the reading. Repeat these affirmations silently or aloud before and during the reading to reinforce positive energy and intention.
4. Gratitude Practice: Express gratitude for the guidance and insights you receive during your Tarot readings. Take a moment to thank the cards, your intuition, and any spiritual guides or higher powers you believe in.
Tips for Tarot Beginners
If you’re new to Tarot reading, here are a few tips to help you navigate your journey:
1. Start with a Rider-Waite Tarot deck: The Rider-Waite Tarot deck is widely considered the best deck for beginners. It features clear and recognizable imagery, making it easier to learn and interpret the cards.
2. Take things one card at a time: When starting out, focus on studying and understanding one card at a time. This will prevent overwhelm and allow you to build a solid foundation of Tarot knowledge.
3. Practice daily: Like any skill, Tarot reading improves with practice. Make it a habit to incorporate Tarot into your daily or weekly routine. The more you practice, the more confident and intuitive you’ll become.
4. Trust your intuition: Above all, trust yourself and your intuition. Your inner wisdom knows best. Allow your intuition to guide your interpretations and embrace the unique insights and guidance you receive.
Conclusion: Embracing Your Intuition with Tarot
The art of Tarot reading offers a profound way to tap into your intuition and gain valuable insights into your life’s journey. By understanding the symbolism of each card, connecting with your intuition, and developing a regular Tarot practice, you can unlock the hidden secrets of your subconscious mind and embark on a path of self-discovery.
Remember, Tarot reading is a personal and intuitive experience. Allow yourself to be open to the messages the cards reveal and trust in your own inner knowing. Embrace the art of Tarot reading as a powerful tool for self-reflection, guidance, and personal growth. As you delve deeper into the world of Tarot, you’ll uncover the vast wisdom that lies within and unlock the limitless potential of your intuition.
So, grab a deck of Tarot cards and embark on a journey of self-discovery as you explore the fascinating art of Tarot reading.
I’ll be hosting a Learn to Read Tarot Course starting soon! You can find more information here:
Learn to read tarot