Is balance possible for a Sensitive Small Business owner or brand new Earth Angel entrepreneur?
That’s a good question. Many times, it feels like balance is elusive, impossible, just not a part of the equation.
Balance IS possible, but it takes practice, discipline, and planning!
In my world, some semblance of balance is NECESSARY for me to feel my best. I can’t deny that I cause myself a lot of unnecessary emotional turmoil when I don’t have some sort of balance in my life. I can’t let the house go untidied while I work on my blog all day. I can’t allow my children to be ignored so that I can get something done for a client.
Well, most of the time – at least – I can’t.
Sometimes, I feel like I HAVE to let the kids sit in front of a screen or let the dust bunnies grow on my shelves (ewww!) so that I can birth the idea that JUST. NEEDS. OUT. NOW! or get something done for a client, STAT!
Or to get the site updates done. Or the readings. Or the editing. Or whatever is tugging my soulstrings at the moment…
Ultimately, though, if I let that imbalance take over, the stress starts to mount. I feel guilty and ashamed for basically ignoring my kids. The dirty kitchen bugs the heck out of me. I invite friends over – and look up and notice my house looks like a balloon of clothes and toys kind of exploded in the living room. Whoops! And OMG my attitude is S#!+ when I haven’t been to the gym. Whoo-doggies! It’s. Not. Good.
And I don’t like the way I feel when I am imbalanced: Stressed, tense, hyper-focused – and many times stuck, blocked, and unable to move forward.
Imbalance = negativity for me. This I have learned…
What do I do to avoid that whole slide from balance into imbalance?
- PRIORITIZE. I know what is essential and non-essential in my life. Exercise, tidiness, time for my kids and my hubby, home cooked meals… AND plenty of creative time for writing, business planning and development, interaction with my peeps… Those are all TOP priorities for me – and the LIFE stuff is just as, if not even more, important than the biz stuff is to me.
- SCHEDULE. The things that make me feel better and grow my biz are IMPORTANT. I NEED THEM, so I schedule them. I know in my head that – if none of my children are sick and school is in session – I WILL go to the gym on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings. I have promised myself that dishes are to be done and the kitchen cleaned BEFORE I sit down to work (or it bugs me all day). I know that I will be doing a video post on Tuesday and a newsletter every other Thursday. I have started an outline for what kinds of posts I will make to my social media each day of the week so that I can stay on task better. Schedule it in. Follow your schedule. It really makes things easier!
- SAY NO! I know this one is terribly hard for many of us Earth Angels and Sensitive Souls, but we just HAVE to get used to saying NO and sticking with it! Many of us feel so stretched and over the limits because we do too much for others. When you are having a hard time juggling your own stuff, you don’t need to add a bunch of other people’s “balls” to the mix. People want us to prioritize their tasks – often things that we are doing as “favors” for them. Nope. No way. Find a way to graciously decline requests that don’t pull your heart strings or directly build your business.
- OUTSOURCE, BABY! Looking professional in business can take a LOT of your time, especially when you aren’t really sure about how to do something. Why not just give the tasks that frustrate you and eat your time to someone who LOVES doing just what it is that you can’t stand doing (or don’t know how to do or don’t do as well as you would LIKE to do it)? When I hired a professional website developer (Catherine McManus at Creatively Designed),my website went from OK to FAB-U-LOOOOHHHSE!!! in like 2.5 seconds (or weeks, really – but the difference in what she could do and what I could do were ah-mazing)! She makes gorgeous graphics – like the shining pic of me at the top of my newsletter! She creates the visions that I have in my head – leaving me time to work on marketing, writing, and doing the fun stuff. I highly recommend starting with a web designer/graphic artist AT LEAST (if that stuff frustrates you), and even an Accountant. Figure out what it is that you don’t want to do and hire someone to do it for you!
There are other ways of bringing more balance into your life, like cutting out time wasters (scrolling through Facebook for hours), and preplanning and bulk cooking meals. Get creative in figuring out how to find balance. Make sure to schedule time to just BE, too (a.k.a. looking at the wall and doing NOTHING)!
Want more balance? Here are your tasks for this week:
1) Figure out what your PRIORITIES are. YOURS. Not someone else’s, but YOURS! Write them down.
2) Schedule them in. Seriously, this is KEY. What is in your schedule is sacred. What isn’t is easy to forget. Know what is sacred to you and make time for it!
3) Practice saying NO! If someone wants you to take on one of his/her tasks – whether it is one of your kids who would like you to do something that he/she is darn well capable of or a client who wants you to go above and beyond (for free or nothing)… say NO!
4) Start planning what you LOVE to do and what you can outsource. Check outFiverr to see if you can find some help, or ask in one of your biz networking groups (like my Angel Business Basics Facebook group here)
Want help finding your balance? I’m here for you!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a free half-hour session to take a look at your desires and goals in creating a fabulous business and life – and how to achieve them! *This offer does NOT include a reading of any sort!
Sign up to receive my Weekly Intentions Worksheets (here)! They will help you to plan out your balanced upcoming week!